Thursday, January 14, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love Tour in Bali

Elizabeth Gilbert wrote a memoir in 2006 titled Eat, Pray Love: One Woman's Search for Everything across Italy, India and Indonesia which became a national bestseller. The book takes the reader along the author's personal quest for equilibrium after a messy divorce and other life snafus. Really it focuses on one woman's question "What am I doing with my life?" Her journey's final stop is in Bali where she starts to find her center and balance. Her search is partially about finding love with an appropriate man but really more significantly learning how to know, love and appreciate herself.

Soon to be a major motion picture staring Julia Roberts the story so captivated readers that it was one of only two books to be on the New York Times Paperback Bestseller list every week of 2008. For those of you who made New Year's resolutions to really examine their life Spirit Quest Tours has organized an amazing spiritual journey to Bali based on the book. The trip will take place in May 2010 and can accommodate thirty-five travelers departing from either New York or Los Angeles. It is a good compromise for those who are not writers and can't leave their desk jobs for a year to travel the world and find themselves.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Australian fugitive arrested in Bali

A fugitive wanted by the Australian Federal Police for drug offences has been arrested on the Indonesian holiday island of Bali, police said.

Timothy Geoffrey Lee, 45, was arrested in a house in Kuta district on Saturday, Bali police anti-narcotics head Kokot Indarto said.

"There was a fax request and a red notice by the Australian Federal Police on November 9, 2009, asking us to arrest and investigate him on a drug-related offence," he said.

"He's suspected of being part of an Australian drug ring."

Police found an Australian passport and three British passports in Lee's possession.

"We plan to coordinate with Interpol and Australian police to take him to Australia," Mr Indarto added.

Provincial police spokesman Gde Sugianyar said Australian police wanted Lee over the possession of 45 litres of materials used to make methamphetamines.

Lee reportedly had been wanted by Australian police since 2008.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Bali’s tourist arrival record of 2.2m difficult to break

Bali set a new record of foreign tourist arrivals with 2.2 million in 2009, but local and international tourism industry players doubt the island can equal or break the mark in the future.

Ida Bagus Sidharta Putra of Santrian Group tours and travel network said Saturday Bali was lucky to receive foreign tourists who shifted their destination from Thailand due to a protracted political crisis there last year.

“I think it will be difficult for us to equal the record now that Thailand has regained political stability. Early room booking this year is no better than last year. A number of tourists from Russia and Europe have even canceled their trips here due to global financial crisis which remains unabated,” he was quoted by

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fortnight in Bali follows memorable day for city sweethearts

A TWO-WEEK honeymoon in Bali followed the wedding of a Derby couple in the city.

Ellie Sturt, daughter of Thomas and Christine Hindmarch, of Ilkeston, and Mitchell Allseybrook, son of Geoff and Joy Allseybrook, of St Alban's Road, Derby, were married at All Saints' Church Findern, the ceremony followed by a reception at The Highfields House Restaurant at The Littleover Lodge

The bride wore Maggie Sottero's Gatsby gown, a slimline vintage-style dress.

She was attended by maid of honour Gemma Barker and bridesmaids Lexie, Lottie and Millie Thomas.

The best man was Mark Petty and the ushers were Aidan Hindmarch and Lee Allseybrook.

The couple, who live in Heatherton Village, matched their colours along a vintage theme with the groom wearing champagne and the attendants champagne and chocolate brown.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bali gets Rp 8.7 trillion from state budget

Bali received Rp 8.7 trilllion (US$925 million) from the state budget for the 2010 fiscal year, Governor Made Mangku Pastika confirmed Thursday.

“We will disburse the fund to support economic activities that stimulate growth, create job opportunities and reduce poverty,” he said.

The governor elaborated that government officials’ salaries would amount to Rp 1.918 trillion; procurements of various goods (Rp 1.25 trillion); capital spending (Rp 1.14 trillion) and social aid (Rp 580.37 billion).

General Fund Allocation is set at Rp 3.54 trillion, while special allocation fund Rp 333.35 billion.

Pastika suggested that each of the government’s agencies pay serious attention to the fund’s allocation.

The governor said he would focus on seven sectors including health, education, agriculture, and environment.

“We will also improve infrastructure in many parts of the island, especially in the remote areas.”

Bali is enjoying a robust tourist industry. However, the industry benefits only some of the island’s eight regencies and muncipality such as Badung and Gianyar.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

* News * World news * Global terrorism Confusion over Bali terror warning from US embassy

JW Marriott hotel

Workers clean up the site of the JW Marriott hotel in Jakarta after a bomb attack in July. Photograph: Bay Ismoyo/AFP/Getty Images

The US embassy in Indonesia today issued a warning of a possible attack in the popular tourist destination of Bali tonight, saying it was based on information from the island's governor.

A message on the US embassy website carried what it said was a statement from the Bali tourism board.

The statement read: "The governor of Bali, Mangku Pastika, wishes to share a message with all of us: 'There is an indication of an attack to Bali tonight' ... please don't panic, but put your security system to full alert."

However, Putu Suardika, the head of public relations at the Bali governor's office, denied that Pastika had made such a statement.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Government urges Aussies to delay Bali travel

AUSTRALIANS are being urged to reconsider travel to Bali after the Government's "very high threat" warning over the New Year period.

However, there was confusion yesterday about the origin of a New Year's Eve warning to tourists on the holiday island, which was circulated by the US Embassy in Bali.

It quoted the Governor of Bali, Mangku Pastika, warning there was an indication an attack was planned for New Year's Eve.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs also posted the warning on its SmartTraveller website, saying it was circulated by the Bali Tourism Board, and urged travellers to be alert to the statement.

Bali Travel Information

Bali Travel - Top Bali Sites

Bali Travel Guide